The first song in the performance of Monkey Mind Pirates, Argh, Mateys asks an important question:
What's it going to be? Will you stand on the deck in the middle of the storm, or sink to the bottom of the sea?
OBJECTIVE: To learn movements to the chorus of Argh Mateys and to choreograph movements to each verse.
PROCEDURE: Follow the directions below
- Aargh, Mateys Right fist across body R --> L as right foot stomps
- Aargh, Mateys Left fist across body L --> Ras left foot stomps
- What’s it going to be? Hands out, palms up
- Will you stand on the deck Left hand on hip
- In the middle of the storm Right hand on hip
- Or sink to the bottom of the sea? Left hand above head, right hand pinching nose, bend knees down in a sinking motion
Create choreography for each verse
- Come young, come old, come shy and bold
- Come sea dogs of all kinds.
- No time to waste, so let’s make haste;
- ‘Tis treasure for to find!
- If ye be short or ye be tall,
- Ye be just what we need.
- And I won’t fault ye if yer salty:
- Brine is what we bleed.
- We’ll scour the sea all fancy-free,
- Ol’ fate we’ll tempt and taunt.
- From oceans green to lands unseen,
- For nothing will we want.
- So, join me crew, there’s much to do!
- Your time is nigh today…
- If ye agree to sail with me,
- Then this is what you’ll say:
- A trade wind’s near and blowin’ fast,
- So fly the flag up high.
- Swab the deck and shine the brass
- And kiss your loves good-bye... Go down on one knee, gaze up at the stars
- Sail with me now and this I vow:
- A trip by boat and mind
- Come tears (cry) or laughter (laugh) …
- ... what I’m after,
- Dearer won’t you find.
Definition: An experienced sailor.
Context: Despite being an old sea dog, Captain Fitz fell overboard.
Definition: Hurry up.
Context: What’s taking so long with the Ice Cream? Make haste in there!
Definition: How sailors say the word "you."
Context: Thank ye very much for the gift, young man.
Definition: Having the flavor of or suggesting the sea or things related to the sea.
Context: Captain Fitz was a salty dog, never feeling comfortable on land.
Definition: Water containing a great deal of salt.
Context: When I swam in the ocean, I accidentally got a mouthful of brine.
Definition: To examine thoroughly and rapidly.
Context: He scoured the ground for clues where his dog might have gone.
Definition: To risk the dangers of . . .
Context: She’s tempting fate by standing on her head.
Definition: To provoke or challenge in a mocking or insulting manner.
Context: He taunted me with his sneering eyes.
Definition: Near in time.
Context: It’s nigh time you went to bed, young lady.